Monday, June 18, 2012

Another Strange Turn

Once again, I'd like to advise everyone to stay away from Cumberton. One of the strangest places I've ever seen, with a populace of trashed-out, in-bred, shit-talking freaks. The whole place creeped me out.

So, with that out of the way, I have to say that todays ride was one of the more beautiful we've been through. We started with a 25 mile climb to the Eastern Continental Divide, rising into the clouds early this morning as mist rose from the surrounding mountains, blending into clouds as we ascended. Deer everywhere, some turning and running, others watching first, curious. A wild peacock, strutting proudly. Dark tunnels driving through the mountains, one over a mile long. The relief of hitting the peak after over two hours of steady climbing, finding ourselves moving downhill, our just reward. A path wide enough for two bikes with 50 foot drops through the trees on either side. Bridges spanning rivers flowing a hundred feet below us. True beauty in America. A good ride.

Now we rest in a small shack in a trailer park. Confluence, PA will be our home tonight. Tomorrow, a ninety miler to Pittsburgh.

Some strange news tonight, as well. We'd been thinking of hitching a ride on a train on the way to Buffalo, which lies only 225 miles from Pittsburgh, since we have family meeting us and we don't want to go past schedule. It was discussed and we decided to allow ourselves the lift, it's a short one and we'll bike the last leg in, and have time to ride into Canada. Unfortunatly, George won't be joining us, he's decided to stay on the train and return home early. He has good reason to do so, and leaves with our blessing, but I'm sad he's leaving us, especially so close to the end.

Only Jeff and I will be left after tomorrow night, and the trip will be coming to a close in a few days. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Happy to see my loved ones, and a little sad to give up the road.

On the other hand, the thought of sleeping in my own bed is a wonderful dream, and I miss my nephews so much right now it kinda hurts a little.

1 comment:

  1. Your nephews miss you, too. They had a little back and forth "I miss Uncle Nic!" yelling match on Sunday.

    We're glad you're coming home. You can hit the road again anytime.

    ReplyDelete