Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Crossing the Border

Finally, we got ahead, as opposed to behind, schedule. Crossed the state line into Georgia last night and slept in a new state. I'm not sure if it's a trick of the mind or not, but it feels completely different. The accent is strong, people are loud and slow at the same time, and the sounds coming from the deep, thick swampland is a little creepy. It sounds like there's a lot of hungry critters out there. Still, it was a relief to arrive, we were given a rec room of sorts to sleep in at a Baptist church, hooked up by pastor Allen down in mid Florida somewhere, still helping us out days after we visited his church. The constant church talk and scripture quoting gets to me at times. It's not what I signed up for, and definitely not how I view my own spirituality, but I've decided to be as patient as I can with it, and speak rationally. Now, in the South, I think I'll just hold my toungue. Everything around here seems to center around the church. Not god, necessarily, just the church, and what it's doing, politically. I prefer to find God elsewhere, like on the open road as we ride. It's only a matter of time before I say something that's going to rile somebody up.

As far as the riding? Yesterday was a wet one, raining heavily on and off throughout the day and leaving us full of grit and grease from the road. No shower, just a sink wash at night, but sometimes that feels just as good, and last night it was wonderful. The ride was a different one. We turned inland mid-day, and within a few miles from the coast, the city changed. We'd been following the water, which means money, and now that we're inland we can see the real populace, the people that really live here, all the time. It's not so pretty. Saw a discarded pitbull thrown on the side of the road, a leftover from someone's cruel pastime. Lots of people just sitting, finding a little spot of shade to waste time in and wait. Buzzards greeted us just inside the Georgia state line, about a half dozen pulling at some bloody carcass. As we rode by they lifted their wings a little, pretended to care that we were near, but really it was just a formality, they could care less. We stopped for a minute and Jeff was attacked by gigantic ants, swarming over his legs and biting furiously. The swamp gurgles and never stops making it's wet music as we coast along, amazed by it's beauty but fully aware that it wants to eat us.

We're about to ride, heading through Okefenoke(?) swamp, home of Pogo and others. If I get the chance I'll report back later and post some pics...

 

4 comments:

  1. Nic, we all miss you so much! We're all so excited for you, and are so proud of you for what you're doing. Also, I'm a bit envious, but am inspired to pull my feet out of the mud and get my life moving once more.

    I think the kitties miss you a lot, too. Monster just lays on the couch, and occasionally gets up to eat, drink, and poop. Birdie usually just hides, but comes out for the occasional tummy rub and escape attempt.

    Keep on moving safely and calmly. As difficult as it gets, try to remember that just because someone thinks differently than you, even in regards to the most difficult and sensitive issues, it doesn't mean they're wrong, or terrible people. They've simply had different experiences than you. You're submersed in a different subculture now; you're in someone else's community. Try your best not to rile anybody up. Faith, religion, spirituality, values, morals: no matter how seemingly misguided or foolish, belong to that particular individual. It's going to take much more than a stranger on a bicycle to take those away. Save the riling for a discussion on faith or the work population crisis over beers with Shana and I on your return.

    I love you so much. Ride safely.

    Your sis,

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking in. Glad to hear you're all safe. When I hear Georgia, it makes me feel just a little closer to the ride, knowing if I jump in the truck, I'd be down there in 12 hours. Keep on pushing if it feels right. I look forward to visiting upon your return. Again be safe.

    May the group ride well.

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ahead Bro...do some riling. Life is short, and sometimes one needs to speak out to make everyone feel that things are on the outside and up and up. You already know, just do with dignity and class if you need to release some steam but remember also that there is great strength in restraint. By the way, the blog is great! Everyone who is reading this is captivated and has told me so...its about time others are getting the chance to see what you've been scribbling down. Everythings fine here. I've been real busy with the music of coarse and we've received a great review in the shepard express and everyday is filled with activities preluding the album release. Miss you but not as much as I thought I would just yet, I'm happy that you're doing something good for your soul and knowing that it is seems to keep you close to me in heart and helps me feel that you're just fine. Keep safe and stay strong bro, your adventure has still just begun...
    Love Always
    Your brother Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely written, big brother. On second thought, Nic, big brothers are usually right, so go ahead, rile away. Just make sure the recipient of your riling doesn't have a gun, as suggested by those you've met along the road.

    A correction, I meant "over population" not "work population". Clearly, I'm not having enough fun this week.

    Watch out for guns, dogs, and foxes.

    -T

    ReplyDelete