Saturday, May 19, 2012

Coming back to Florida

The view from the 16 passenger plane that took us from Tampa to Key West.


In 1992, I traveled to Clearwater Beach with my friend Steve Rypel, the goal being to experience a Spring break as close to what Rodney Dangerfield had promised us college life could be. Namely, chicks and partying. Capitalized, in the Dangerfield world-as in, "Hey, what this funeral really needs is a PARTY!!!"

What we got, in the pre-internet/gps world, was a trip right into the aftermath of a Hurricane. Andrew, I believe. The whole thing probably could have been avoided if we'd just stopped listing to Descendents tapes-pretty much all Steve had packed in his car, and turned on the radio, maybe to check the local news or weather. We had hints, even, like the 1 inch of snowfall that fell in Tennesee while we drove through, which freaked out everyone but the two kids from Wisconsin on their way to what we thought would be LadyLand. Within an hour after our arrival, we were instructed to head back to the hotel. "Storms on it's way!". We laughed on walked on, what's a little rain? Twenty five minutes later we were running blindly through unfamiliar streets, trying to find a way back to the hotel we'd just checked into, as what seemed like the entire ocean poured itself over the beach. We spent the next two days in that room, wishing we'd pulled the boombox out of the car on our way in.

I saw a lot of beauty in that storm, as well as it's Fury. I will never forget the damage it did to that City, how it overturned cars, ripped off roofs, covered the world in sand, and ruined our party. I vowed never to come back to Florida.

Twenty years later, here I am. I get the feeling that I'm going to get to know this State very well, as we ride along the coast at an easy 10-15mph.

We had our first ride today, clocking in 72 miles after sleeping in a nursery at the 5th Ave Baptist church in Key West. It was a test of a day. Who'd take the lead and when? Who'd hit a wall, and when? Would any gear break off or show it's faults in rugged conditions? I worked on my pacing, as I'm used to moving much faster, but knowing that the secret to doing distance is to pace it all out, and consider the long haul. Everything seemed to be alright, my gear held up and the legs ran smoothly, and everyone else seemed to pull their weight well, despite some kinks that had to be ironed out. Many more will come, I'm sure.

We were rewarded on our arrival a few hours ago. We were planning on sleeping in pews, no showers or comforts, but when a woman from the church's congregation heard of us, and our travel plans, she offered to put us up in a rental property she owns, which was sitting vacant. It's absolutely stunning. The kind of place I could never afford if I was vacationing. A pool, wi-fi (which is why I can post this tonight), a kitchen, and beds.

This might be our most restfull stop on the journey, and I don't want to be spoiled, but I'm going to enjoy any hospitalities or moments of peace that we encounter. Thanks Linda, we'll sleep well tonight.

Tomorrow, we head to Miami, birthplace of one of my best friends and a place I'd never thought I'd go to voluntarily.

 

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the plane engine in the sky. Glad to hear the trip is starting out nicely with plush accommodations. May you enjoy your odyssey.
    p.s. Is there any way to be notified when you update the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I've gotta figure something out-I added an e-mail notification. Ant other suggestions? I'm new to the blog world...

      Delete
  2. sounds awesome nick!! i like to read it in dutch...

    ReplyDelete