Saturday, May 19, 2012

When you get what you ask for...

Early this morning, -4am, to be exact- I boarded a plane out of Milwaukee, on my way to the Florida keys to begin a ride like I've never attempted before. To be honest, a ride I never dreamed I'd be attempting. A few short months ago I was asked to accompany a group of bicyclists on a spiritual trek across the Southern Tier of the United States, as a rider and, specifically, as a videographer, the idea being that a video shot from the point of view of an actual rider might shed some light on the reality of how a feat like this might affect someone. Mentally, physically, and spiritually, this might be the most challenging feat I've ever put myself up to, and the bonus of being able to shoot everything as it happens puts the cherry on top. 

To add to the potential drama and possible tragedy (as those of you who've ridden with me before well know), I feel it's important for you all to know that not only have I never toured before, I've never actually camped before either. Which should make for an interesting time....

 

How I decided to take advantage of all this? To walk away from my home, job, and loved ones for longer than I ever have before? It came last October, after floating around in these sulfuric waters, daydreaming and wondering where I was heading, staring at the Arctic sky and letting my mind open up.

 


While floating, a little over six months ago, I had several realizations about where I wanted my life to go. Many decisions were made, but at the top of the list were the decisions that I wanted to return to the craft of filmmaking, and the thought that I would be happy if I was able to travel at least a little bit every year, to places of great beauty. Three months later, out of the blue, I was approached by my friend George Claudio, who's my entry point to all of this, to do both of these things. So here I am, 'cause when you get exactly what you asked for, you'd better say yes, or you might never get it again.

 

Hope you all enjoy whatever follows in these posts. I have no idea what to expect, and that feels absolutely thrilling. And terrifying.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment